სახელმწიფო საკონსტიტუციო კომისია
Irakli Kobakhidze: we establish the system in full compliance with the best traditions of the European Parliamentary democracy, it is the best achievement of the 9th Parliament
“Today, we submitted the editorial amendments. Naturally, no contextual changes have been introduced to the text. As to the Constitutional reform in general, all the questions have been answered with the final opinion of the Venice Commission providing the fundamental progress the Constitutional law has been through. We establish the system in full compliance with the best traditions of the European Parliamentary democracy, it is the best achievement of the 9th Parliament”, - the Speaker, Irakli Kobakhidze stated after the Legal Committee supported the draft Constitutional Law with the III reading.
The Legal Committee unanimously supported the draft Constitutional Law with the III reading. The bill was introduced by the Speaker. He introduced the editorial and technical changes and answered the questions.
The Bill aims at reflection of the recommendations of the Venice Commission in the new edition. The Bill envisages:
- Addition of the paragraph to the Article 5 envisaging that “the state shall ensure rational utilization of the natural resources and environmental protection;
- The changes to the Article 16 regulating freedom of religion, confession and consciousness;
- Addition of the record to the paragraph 3, Article 27 on autonomy of universities and hence, it ensures academic freedom and autonomy of higher educational institutions;
- The principal change concerns so-called bonus system: the new Constitution withdraws the bonus system and hence: the mandates of the Members of Parliament shall be distributed to the political parties obtaining at least 5% of the voters. In view to define the number of the mandates obtained by the parties, the number of the votes shall be multiplied with the 150 and divided into the sum total of the votes obtained by the political party obtaining at least 5% of the votes. The full part of the final amount is number of the mandates obtained by the political parties. If the sum of the mandates of the political parties is less than 150, the political parties with the best results will gain the undistributed mandates in consistent manner. Deriving from annulment of the bonus system, sundry paragraphs shall be withdrawn from the Constitution. The change ensures transition to the proportional electoral system;
- Possibility of participation in the forthcoming Parliamentary elections for the electoral blocs in single manner along with the political parties;
- The terminological change to the Article 50 concerning the President: the term “voter” shall be replaced with the term “member of the electoral board”;
- The change to the Article 18 concerning accessibility to public information;
- The change concerning the electoral disputes under the authority of the Constitutional Court.
The authors of the Constitutional draft are: Irakli Kobakhidze, Tamar Chugoshvili, Archil Talakvadze and Mamuka Mdinaradze. The Bill is initiated by 116 MPs. The Bill will be considered with the III reading in the ongoing session week.